It’s Canadian Thanksgiving and World Octopus Day (OCTOber 8th = get it?).
There’s so much to be grateful for. The health and freedom that allows me to live this life of depth; the love and support of buddies, family and community; AND the lessons learned, ESPECIALLY from octopuses.
What essential life lessons learned from them?
- Do not fear what may look foreign;
- Respect alternative intelligences;
- If necessary, blend in to escape detection;
- When you know what you want, hold on tight;
- Trust in your ability to squeeze through tight spaces and come out okay on the other side;
- Ink out the negative in your life and jet away, leaving it behind you;
- Know your home and keep the garbage outside; and
- Be big-hearted (octopuses have three), guard the next generation, and use your beak when needed!
And what’s going on in this photo? All is told about my buddy, this female Giant Pacific Octopus, and the Copper Rockfish (see him/her?) in my blog “Gentle Giants. What to do when you find your dive buddy with a Giant Pacific Octopus on her head“.
And thankful for YOU that you care enough to read this blog and help make my efforts feel so worthwhile. I’ll stay at it till I am an octogenarian (and beyond).