We are Wholly Dependent and Connected to the Ocean
Reflections for Oceans Day 2014.
We are wholly dependent and connected to the Ocean.
Life on land cannot survive without the Ocean.
It is life in the Ocean that will testify to magnitude of environmental problems first.
Change is needed; and we humans have an astounding capacity to make a positive difference.
Likely as a reader of “The Marine Detective”, you already share the following perspective:
The majority of messaging we get is controlled by those with power in the current paradigm not wanting us to change our value systems, and consumer and voter behaviour.
Therefore, they perpetuate:
- Ignorance, uncertainty and inaction by limiting access to independent science;
- The notion that it is jobs OR the environment;
- The fallacy that being good for the environment is about loss rather than joy; and
- The mythology that consuming more will certainly make us happier and more “successful”.
What a different world it would be if:
- More of us were to consume less and care more;
- Value time and health over possessions;
- Think in terms of an economy of chemicals and energy use instead of just money;
- Know that there is no divide between land and sea and that Ocean sustains human life;
- Be empowered;
- And . . . . be happier.
Spread the word?
Happy Oceans Day.
3 Responses to “We are Wholly Dependent and Connected to the Ocean”
That about sums it up — thank you for your wise words.
Nice post Jackie.